Thursday, November 29, 2012

Wicked

(Some Spoilers 3x )

                    I've recently started reading a book called, "Wicked" by Sara Shepard. "Wicked", is the 5th book in the Pretty Little Liar series. In this book, Hanna, Spencer, Aria, and Emily(the four main characters) have recently begun returning to their normal lives after A's true identity was revealed. Sara Shepard puts Hanna's, Spencer's, Aria's, and Emily's perspective in the PLL series but she never really puts anybody else's perspective in the books.


                 Well clearly we never really get to know what their mothers were thinking about all of this. I mean their daughter's best friend went missing for a year then later their daughter's best friend's body was found buried in a hole in their daughter's best friend's backyard. There must be many things going on in their minds. From time to time, you'll see their mothers questioning them. Asking them what they were doing. They sensed something was going on. We never got to know what they suspected their daughters were doing.


               What were they thinking when they didn't know about 'A'? They probably did notice that their daughters phones tended to beep at the same time as if they were receiving the same text message from the same person(which did happen most of the time). Were they shocked when they found out that their daughter was hiding this big, dark secret that could've led to their death. Especially Hanna's mother. What was she thinking when she found out that Mona, Hanna's supposed best friend, was planning to kill Spencer and was the one who sent her daughter and her daughter's best friends threatening messages?


              One thing I noticed was that Hanna, Spencer, Aria, and Emily don't really interact anymore after they've discovered A's true identity. They drifted apart again. It's like they're saying, 'We're only to talk to each other when are secrets and lives are in danger". As I read the book, Emily was the one having the hardest time getting over Ali. She was in love with her, and who else would help her besides her 3 other former best friends? They went through the same thing, the only difference is that they weren't in love with Ali. They could seriously help other get over their best friend's death and try to erase the memory that Mona was the one threatening to reveal their secrets and warning them that they're lives would be in danger if they told anyone about her.


            If their mother's perspectives were shown, then we would have a sense on what they were thinking throughout the course of these big events. I guess it would help us understand this situation more in another perspective. What did Aria's mother think about Aria dating Mr. Fitz? We did have a sense on what Emily's mother thought about Emily being lesbian. We all knew that she couldn't accept the fact that her daughter was gay because she sent her daughter to Iowa so her daughter's aunt and uncle could help her stop being gay. I found that really messed up. I mean you're trying to forcefully change your child's sexuality. If that's what gender they like, then they should be allowed to like that gender. What did Spencer's mother think about Spencer seeing Melissa's former boyfriend, Ian, with Ali before Ali died? What did Hanna's mother think about Mona being A?
                               
                             

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer,
    I really like how you try to dig deeper into the minds of characters that had never been addressed fully. Parents. Many times in books, parents aren't really addressed, and it sort of makes the kids seem like they have free reign over everything except the financial problems. I personally think that the whole Pretty Little Liars series is confusing and weird, as I have never read it, but maybe I could try it out. Good blogpost!
    -Terri

    ReplyDelete